Old 18-03-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Frost and Tadpoles

Bob Hobden wrote:
"will_c" wrote
We have a mass of frog spawn, in various stages of development. Some
has produced tadpoles already. There are 3 or 4 large blobs, some
under water, some on the surface.

Can someone please give me some advice on protecting it from the cold
weather and frost that we are apparently about to be hit with?

I've been told that the tadpoles are likely to be OK as they'll swim
deeper to the warmer water, but that the spawn on the surface is
vulnerable.

Would it help to cover the spawn? Or remove it in a bucket for a
couple of days?

Or should I just allow nature to make the life and death decisions?
It just seems a shame to let all those little creatures die if I can
help them.

A sheet of polystyrene foam floated over the surface spawn and
anchored there might help.

Or bubblewrap
--
ßôyþëtë