Old 19-03-2007, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan Derryl Killan is offline

Default I need the best soil for tomatoes in pots

geronimo wrote:
I am in a rent house so I don't plant anything in the ground, its

Hi a Nursery pot of 10 gallon size with 2 parts miracle grow and one
part perlite and regular feedings of Miracle grow seems to be indicated
here. Tomatoes need drainage.

They don't like wet feet. Place the plant in a south facing spot which
should give it some needed heat. Mind that it won't set fruit over 90
degrees Fahrenheit.

Derryl
Horticulturist

all in pots. I am in zone 10. Last spring (EARLY) I planted a
tomato(a variety that others are growing here with excellent results)
in a pot. Had full sun. Had plenty of drainage holes, volcanic rock at
the bottom. The tomato plant grew only so-so. I don't think it was
anywhere near the size/foliage spread of one planted in in a garden.
This pot actually is a large galvanized wash tub, so the plant sure
had more than enough room.
I used a mix...some sand, but mostly Miracle-Gro potting soil. At
the price of Miracle-Gro, it should be THE BEST, but the plant only
produced three or four fruit. There are lots of honeybees around.
I thought that maybe it was just that tomatoes don't do well/produce
much fruit when potted...however a relative of mine said that he once
grew tomatoes in pots, and they produced lots of fruit. SO I guess I
don't have the right soil or fertilizers. I watered them ocassionally,
as all the potted plant, with MIracle-Gro solution. What did I do
wrong, or is there some better soil I can put in the container?