Old 19-03-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Well...........!

Nick Maclaren writes

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| No, that's not right. Broad beans are HARDIER than onions, and can
| happily survive quite hard frosts. I don't know if the original,
| Mediterranean form (e.g. el ful) can, but the forms grown in the UK
| assuredly can.
| Peas are also pretty hardy. Unless the ground actually goes solid,
| or they come through and then flop over, I wouldn't worry.
|
| That was my thought when I asked how tall they were. Far too early for
| peas - and I never do broadbeans in winter/early spring for these
| reasons. Come to think of it I can't think of anyone doing broadbeans
| in the winter/early spring. Do you?

Well, other than (apparently) you, I can't think of anyone who DOESN'T
plant them then - or at least intend to. The recommended time is
mid-February around Cambridge, though I aim for mid-March, and even
earlier further south.

Or even in the autumn for many varieties.
--
Kay