Old 19-03-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default bineweed

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On 19 Mar 2007 05:37:58 -0700, "lyngiven"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a
week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out
of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not
every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does
at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not
bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

This is an example of the world catering to bad spellers. I found references
to both names, sharing the same Latin designation - the convulvulus whatever
it is relative of morning glory. I guess scientists have surrendered to mass
culture. :-(

Local folklore suggests that bindweed exists as a remedy for poison ivy
which may exist in proximity. Does here. I prefer soap and water for
possible contact with ivy. The bindweed was to be used as a lotion
after the fact.

What the hell is convulvulus o learned one?

I guess you meant Convolvulus.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade