Old 19-03-2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc[_2_] bobc[_2_] is offline

Default Systemic pest killers

On Mar 19, 10:48 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
I found this while researching a different topic:

Fromhttp://www.green-seeds.com/land_flor4.htmlscroll down to this story:

Root Mealybugs

Arnold H. Hara,
CTAHR Dept. of Entomology, Hilo

Submerging potted
Rhapis palms in 120° F (49° C) hot water until the internal root ball
temperature reaches 115° F(46° C) is 100% effective in killing root
mealybugs. Hot water at 120° F does not significantly affect potted
Rhapispalms.

For more information or a detailed report contact Arnold Hara in Hilo at
Ph: (808) 974-4105, Fax: (808) 974-4110 or e-mail: .

I remember reading somewhere else about using hot water on plants, I
just don't remember where. Has anyone else seen that? I wonder if
orchids would tolerate 120F? Or 115F? I have used 100F to wash newly
acquired orchids _if_ pests were found. Both were Phals with
mealies. I used alchohol to kill the visible bugs, then washed the
plants, bare root, in 100F soapy water. Seems to have worked, but
with the alchohol, and soap, and hot water ... well, I'm not sure just
what did them in. This was about 18 months ago and I haven't seen
any new mealies. I wonder about cactus too ... could they survive hot
water? I really hate using harder drugs (I am easily hooked G) and
just like using soap or alchohol.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa