Old 19-03-2007, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
MadCow MadCow is offline

Default Strange spring [1/1]

In message , Wolf
writes

I took this on the 24th Feb (about a month too early) tadpoles
have started moving and look ready to hatch. Now the weather's
suddenly going back to normal with sleet and night frosts.

They're probably toast, to use thoroughly inapt cliche.

They've started to move through the jelly, but instead of moving out of
the mass they're all huddled together in the middle of it !
I don't know if this is normal, it's my first year with my own pond.

I think they'll be all right so long as they're submerged.

I don't know whether frogs spawn according to daylength or temperature?
Either way, they must be resistant to late frosts because they usually
spawn well before the traditional last cold snap in mid-April.

I look forward to boring you with pictures of froglets...

--
Sue ]