Old 20-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer raycruzer is offline

Default bineweed

On Mar 19, 10:50 am, Jangchub wrote:
On 19 Mar 2007 05:37:58 -0700, "lyngiven"
wrote:

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a
week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out
of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not
every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does
at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not
bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

It's also called field bindweed. I have a few bindweed vines that try
to grow in my yard each year and I quickly pull them out with my weed
twister.

I've been told by an expert (Dr. Tom Lanini, UC Davis) that the roots
of bindweed are connected to a deep network of roots that cover a
large area. I showed Tom how my weed twister can easily pull out deep
or shallow bindweed roots very thoroughly, but he wasn't impressed.
Nonetheless, in my home garden, I've been able to keep this stubborn
weed in check each year by twisting out a few new sprouts of bindweed
as soon as I spot them. If you catch them early, as Jangchub advises,
the work is minimal.

Go for the roots!

RayCruzer

-----