Old 20-03-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Moon Lily or Devils Trumpet??

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:21:03 -0800, "Starlord"
wrote:

If you are talking about the all white desert planet that grows out here in
the mojave desert and I have ones just coming up, every year they regrow
from not only the old root but from seeds too and let you know, they are
deadly poison too. Do NOT let anyone eat them or lick their hands after
touching them, the only thing I've had eat them is the tiny desert snail I
get around here, otherwise nothing will touch them and at night I get a full
blooming of them in the summer heat.

It makes so much sense to use botanical names. Datura comes from seed
and if climate is not too wet or cold in winter will also come back
from the root. Mine are hardy here in zone 8b. They are called
Angels Trumpets and come in many forms. I mostly collect D. wrightii,
D. metel, D. inoxia, D. stramonium (thought his flower is not as
showy).

Brugmansia, aka Devils Trumpet is native of the high mountains in Peru
and like any other member of the solanacea family have poisonous
properties.

The most common insect I see are the giant larvae of Hawk moths. I
have many plants so welcome the hornworms because when the moths come
at night it's like having nocturnal hummingbirds. They actually look
a lot like hummingbirds are are as large, sometimes larger.

Tomatoes have deadly poisonous foliage too, as do eggplant, peppers
and any plant in the solanacea.