Old 20-03-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:00:20 +0000, Malcolm wrote
(in article ):

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

I wouldn't know what one looked like!(:-(

It looks like a hummingbird :-)

Not too many of those in Shropshire :-)

We had some American visitors recently who asked me in all seriousness if the
bird feeders were for the hummingbirds, and looked astonished when I said we
didn't get them in this country.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK