Old 20-03-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 20/3/07 20:10, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:00:20 +0000, Malcolm wrote
(in article ):

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

I wouldn't know what one looked like!(:-(

It looks like a hummingbird :-)

Not too many of those in Shropshire :-)

We had some American visitors recently who asked me in all seriousness if the
bird feeders were for the hummingbirds, and looked astonished when I said we
didn't get them in this country.

Probably because they have them in e.g. New England which has winters as
cold or colder than many parts of Britain. But of course, their birds find
it easier to migrate to warmer climes for the winter!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk