Old 27-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Frank Mamone

Default DIY CO2 Mixtu A definitive Answer?

I finally switched from the (Nutrafin) Hagen Plant Gro canister with a soda
bottle --- my first one. I used 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of yeast
(Fleishmann's) and
4 cups of water. I had trouble with the gas leaking at the cap, so put
silicone sealant which still leaked until it hardened. I 'll patch it with a
glue gun today as someone suggested.

Anyhow, I'm getting just slightly over 1 bubble per second! Works great.
Brought down my PH to 6.8 and results into a 21ppm CO2 according to the
chart. My water is KH is 4.5.

I also got rid of the Aquaclear, not because it's a bad filter , but I got a
real good deal for a Eheim 2213 Classic for 99$ CDN with media included!
They're liquidating the classic models. I also don't have to worry about the
surface agitation any more.

Thank you all for your recipe suggestions.

Frank

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
(David Wee) wrote:

1. Warm up water with the stove. Dissolve sugar in it.
2. Cool it down by adding cold water to the sugar water.
3. Seaparately, in the bottle, I add a pinch of yeast + about a teaspoon
of baking soda + two teaspoons of flour + more cool water.
4. Mix it up in the bottle.

Seems like more effort that you need, but if it's working for you, run
with it.

I put 1.5 cups of sugar into an empty two liter bottle. Then I put in
about one liter of warm water (use the baby bottle test - see if it's
too hot for your inner wrist) straight from the tap, filling the
bottle halfway.

I add a teaspoon of yeast (probably more than I need), put a cap on
it, and shake vigorously. The sugar dissolves in the warm water pretty
quickly, and I'm ready to go. I remove the cap, and attach the bottle
to my CO2 line into the tank.

The only real problem I have with my CO2 system is that I've got two
bottles, so I can rotate a fresh one on each week. Every flipping time
I mess with the bottles, one of them falls over. Without fail. Even
when I'm being very careful. This, of course, gets smelly yeasty
sticky sugary water into the CO2 line, and gums up the works, blocks
the flow, and generally annoys me.

--
www.ericschreiber.com