Old 21-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Gardening Sue Gardening Sue is offline
Registered User

Location: Eastbourne
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Thanks,
Andy
If as many suspect they are slugs then I would use nematodes to protect your potatoes. These work underground and are very effective. Don't forget the majority of slugs live underground. As soon as the frosts go I will be planting my earlies but before doing so I will be drenching the ground with nematodes. Slugs were laying their eggs late into the autumn last year and this coupled with the mild winter and lots of damp weather will probably mean we will be inundated with the criters this year. Hope this helps. Gardening Sue