Old 21-03-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Rotavator for heavy clay?

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an old boggy lawn that sits on top of solid clay. The lawn is about
140 square meters. I'd like to dig up the lot and grow
vegetables.

Can anyone tell me what the smallest size rotavator is that would
manage such a job?

Our previous allotment was heavy clay and our old Honda F21 (now Honda F220)
had no trouble cultivating it. What you will find is that it is very
important to rotovate at the correct time, when the soil is just right wet
wise. Too wet and the tines clog up with clay and it will ball the soil into
small lumps, too dry and it sets like concrete. No rotovator like large
stones/bricks, they buck and jump, so I have a bucket handy into which any
such are put for disposal elsewhere.
Also check the pH of your soil, it may be acid and a good heavy dusting of
lime would help break it up anyway. Gypsum breaks up clay too.

--
Regards
Bob H