Old 21-03-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Anyone been to Alnwick garden - here is a review

I would totally recommend Alnwick Garden. There is plenty to see and do for
the admission charge compared with other attractions of similar cost
(particularly as the children get in free.) The kids loved the treehouse,
although I would agree that apart from the rope bridge, it is too big and
solid to really feel like a treehouse. The fountains to the right of the
main cascade are really imaginative, as well as educational (demonstrating
various phenomena of water spreading over surfaces and edges), but the kids
will end up drenched. The walled garden at the top has good collections and
more water. The trained hedges (hornbeam?) all the way up the slope provide
shade and shelter, and on an impressive scale. There are no-step routes to
everything ( long slopes!).
I did find some of the claims about the poisonous plants a bit far-fetched,
but entertaining. I went to school in Alnwick, and do believe there was
Marijuana cultivation in the town long before Her Grace got in on the act.
Alnwick Garden does, however, have its local detractors (e.g. my parents,
who have *never* been and won't go "On Principle"), who claim that the
Garden is bleeding the town dry, taking trade from all the restaurants, not
employing locals etc. But apart from the garden the town's main tourist
attraction , and I reckon the only place likely to lose out in competition
for day-trip visitors, is the castle - part of the same family's estate -
and with both to visit it is worth staying longer than a day.

Duncan

"Jim S" wrote in message
... On Tue, 20 Mar 2007
11:53:54 GMT, John T wrote:

was there in September, still a bit raw but worth a visit for the water
feature alone. Poisonous plants tour fascinating.

Tree house a waste of time IMHO

Going again in April to see it at the start of the season.

JohnT

I have been several times and each year there is something new.
Time your visit to the plants you want to see at their best. They have a
good display of delphiniums and other perennials in the top garden.
The fountain is spectacular and kids love getting soaked so take a towel.
The Tree House is too safe and 'pretty - pretty' to be worth the expense
of
making it IMO. Having said that you are bound to visit it.
If you are 'of an age' and don't have to go in school holidays, it makes
it
more relaxing. Eating facilities are good, but Alnwick has lots of eating
places.
Homepage here http://www.alnwickgarden.com/
--
Jim S