Old 22-03-2007, 10:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Tadpoles [1/1]

"MadCow" wrote in message

Maybe tadpoles aren't as stupid as they look.

Last night my pond froze over. By lunchtime the sun had melted the ice
and my newly-hatched tadpoles were basking in warm water trapped on top
of their mass of jelly. The rest of the pond was still bitterly cold.

I've noticed that spawn and tadpoles aren't affected by the hardest of
frosts. The jelly must act as an insulator to the eggs and tinies and once
they're hatched they must have a natural anti-freeze in their bodies like
other creatures have which have to withstand harsh (to us) conditions.

Mary