Old 20-03-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_6_] Reel McKoi[_6_] is offline

Default Fish for my big puddle?

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

brevity snips

Any recommendations for fish? They'd have to be strong, quick, hide
real well or reproduce very quickly and often. I've got all kinds of
wading birds here, snakes, alligators, raccoons, all sorts of
predators. I haven't a prayer of using nets or anything like that.
Not sure that I would anyway, to quote my dear departed, sainted
Mother: "All God's children have to eat." The fish would have to be
able to survive on almost anything. If they have to rely on me to
feed them then they are doomed. I guess it wouldn't hurt if they were
cute or pleasing to the eye something, but that is probably too much
to ask.

I'd try cheap shubunkin goldfish. They're hardy, heat and cold tolerant,
active, pretty and breed like crazy. As long as you have some plants like
hornwart for the fry to hide in, they should keep a small population going.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.