Old 21-03-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is offline

Default Any others using a Skippy style filter?

"DavidM" wrote in message
(It's a bottom fed, top outlet housing, filled with course floor scrubbing
pad pieces. http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm)

I've been using a homemade Skippy with my small 1000 gallon pond for about
two years. It's a vast improvement over the previous Oase filter, it would
need constant cleaning during the summer. The new Skippy is happy to run
all season without much attention, and maintains good water quality.
As a biofilter it cannot be faulted. However, one downside is that the
filter medium does not provide sufficient mechanical filtration to trap
and remove silt from the water. As a result my pond has been murky for
quite a while.

Turn the water flow down? The slower the flow rate the more stuff will be
"trapped". Mine accumulates a lot of muck over the season.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com