Old 21-03-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is offline

Default New England Ponds

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
atomweaver wrote:

atomweaver wrote in
:

The key is to make it deeper than your frost line (no, 18" is NOT deeper
than the frost line in Ottawa!), and keep even a small hole open in the
ice
(even that isn't necessarily vital if you have really good quality water,
or a flow-through pond). If you get lots of snow covering the pond it
keeps it warmer, but it also will be harder to keep an opening in the ice.

I think success in keeping a hole open must depend somewhat on the size of
the pond - I have 400 - 500 gallons, 36" deep near Detroit, MI. It freezes
over regularly even with the bubbler running. Doesn't seem to be a problem
for the fish though - As long as there is fresh air getting under the ice,
they seem to do OK.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com