Old 21-03-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
©anadian Ponder[_2_] ©anadian Ponder[_2_] is offline

Default koi got ate

~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:31:42 CST, Dusty wrote:

I had my koi's eaten also and found it to be in the city raccoons. I got
me one of these
and baited it woth marshmellows. But be warned you will have to haul 20 to
30 raccoons (maybe more) to a very far away place (at least 20 miles) and
release them.

I agree with CP in the use of hot wire or motion sprinkler, there are worst
things than raccoons, like skunks. Now skunks don't catch fish (though some
say they can, and I'm sure there are probably exceptions to the rule), but
they can make outside a miserable place to be.

I had a raccoon hit my pond, thankfully getting no fish, but making a mess
none the less. I put up a motion sprinkler and didn't have any problems
after that.

My neighbor chose to catch the rascal the next spring and soon after the
skunks moved in. Every dog in the neighborhood got hit that summer, it was
a rare night that one could leave the windows open. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Skunks do catch fish and I bet they are better than raccoons. When my
fish went missing a couple of years ago I automatically assumed a
raccoon. One night I was patient enough to watch my garden from inside
my house after it got dark. I noticed an animal getting close to the
pond so I turned on the patio lights and there it was ....a skunk.

It slowly made a u-turn and slowly went away. Can't believe such a slow
animal could catch fish. The good think about skunks is that if you
seal the entrance to your yard they will normally not climb a fence
whereas a raccoon will.