Old 16-03-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Where have all the newts gone?

wrote:

If you know of a pond where newts breed you can go harvest some eggs
or baby newtlings and adopt them. As always you must be careful to follow
local law when mucking around in natural ponds. Another safe bet is a
fellow garden pond keeper.

kathy :-)

Newts are protected in the UK under the Wildlife and Countryside Act of
1981 - I believe the degree of protection varies - certainly it is
illegal to even disturb Crested Newts let alone move them or their
offspring into another environment. I'm not sure if this is the case
with the Common Newt but as it is rapidly declining my feeling would be
to leave well alone if they are breeding successfully somewhere....

The only thing that can really be done is to make the pond more
attractive to any passing newts, although from my research it looks as
if the environment most suited to newts does not exactly match the
environment suitable for fish keeping.

One thing that Anthony could try is contacting his local wildlife trust
who hopefully might be able to give him more information on the status
of newts in his area.

Gill