Old 21-03-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Fish for my big puddle?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:47:16 CST, DavidM
wrote:

Reel McKoi wrote, On 20/03/2007 23:43:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

brevity snips

Any recommendations for fish? They'd have to be strong, quick, hide
real well or reproduce very quickly and often. I've got all kinds of
wading birds here, snakes, alligators, raccoons, all sorts of
predators. I haven't a prayer of using nets or anything like that.
Not sure that I would anyway, to quote my dear departed, sainted
Mother: "All God's children have to eat." The fish would have to be
able to survive on almost anything. If they have to rely on me to
feed them then they are doomed. I guess it wouldn't hurt if they were
cute or pleasing to the eye something, but that is probably too much
to ask.

==========================
I'd try cheap shubunkin goldfish. They're hardy, heat and cold
tolerant, active, pretty and breed like crazy. As long as you have some
plants like hornwart for the fry to hide in, they should keep a small
population going.

Have you any idea whether the water is acidic or alkalis? If the earth
is saturated, it might be acidic like a peat bog, but that's just a
guess. You might want to line the hole and fill it, rather than using
the water table to maintain a level. The water type might exclude some
types of fish otherwise.

I've thought of having two ponds, I certainly have the room, but
having the one that is pretty unprotected leads me to believe that I
would have to worry and fuss with the other a bit, just to keep the
natural wildlife away. I've got frogs and tadpoles and plants and
bugs and stuff in the pond right now, so I figure the water can't be
all that bad. I need fish that are as slack about acidity and the
like as I am. I have trouble even remembering to water my plants, I
sure don't want to add wondering about pond water quality to that. Do
you have to feed goldfish?
--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help