Old 21-03-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
atomweaver atomweaver is offline

Default New England Ponds

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe"
wrote in news:yfWdnb4OtrE7PJ3bnZ2dnUVZ_qmpnZ2d@wideopenwest .com:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
atomweaver wrote:

atomweaver wrote in
:

The key is to make it deeper than your frost line (no, 18" is NOT
deeper than the frost line in Ottawa!), and keep even a small hole
open in the ice
(even that isn't necessarily vital if you have really good quality
water, or a flow-through pond). If you get lots of snow covering the
pond it keeps it warmer, but it also will be harder to keep an
opening in the ice.

I think success in keeping a hole open must depend somewhat on the
size of the pond - I have 400 - 500 gallons, 36" deep near Detroit,
MI. It freezes over regularly even with the bubbler running. Doesn't
seem to be a problem for the fish though - As long as there is fresh
air getting under the ice, they seem to do OK.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Thanks Derek and Geoff (and Jeff, Gale Ingrid), that at least gets me in
the ballpark as to how deep I'll have to go (probably 36 to 42", to get 12-
18" below the frost line. Unfortunately, my backyard is riddled with
hidden granite boulders, some of which come well up through the frost line
(I learned that, excavating for a dry-set brick patio ;-) Had a fun time
taking the tops off of two nine-footers with a jackhammer.) If I hit one
of those, it'll end up a lot bigger pond, as I'll have to drag the thing
I think it might be easier to go the heated route, or to build a four-
season room with an indoor pond (the room (but not the pond) is already a
planned addition, albeit five years out from now...). I also found a well-
recommended nearby shop, with extensive pond product lines. We'll see if
its a reasonable thing to try. I'm reading the old r.p FAQs now, as well.
Neat hobby...

Regards,
DaveZ