Old 21-03-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Ponds and guns

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:00:23 CST, wrote:

LOL! I'm all for innovative solutions.
I once wrote an article for Helen Nash's
now defunct Pond and Garden magazine about disabled
pond keepers. This was one hint I didn't uncover.

DH has taken to a weed flame thrower in a big
way. He has been flame throwing what is left of
the old frog bog. He uses it all over the yard
and only managed to set the wooden fence on
fire once.

I got one of those weed burning devices that uses a propane bottle and
has a long wand. I didn't catch the fence on fire, but I got the lawn
going pretty good. Got my shoes pretty good too as I tried to stomp
out the fire on the lawn. I got the fire out OK and everything but I
decided that burning weeds was not for me.

But that isn't what made me decide to shoot weeds. I was shooting at
paper targets with a pellet trap and all when I got a little bit bored
with the paper target and aimed at a nearby weed. At first I was just
happy to hit the weed anywhere, but as I got better I learned to shoot
at the base of the weed, and I found I could do considerable damage to
it. For sure, the "grab at the base and pull it out" method is
perhaps the most effective, but not nearly as fun.
--
Galen Hekhuis

Illiterate? Write for FREE help