Old 22-03-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Frost and Tadpoles

On Mar 18, 11:01 am, "will_c" wrote:
We have a mass of frog spawn, in various stages of development. Some has
produced tadpoles already. There are 3 or 4 large blobs, some under water,
some on the surface.

Can someone please give me some advice on protecting it from the cold
weather and frost that we are apparently about to be hit with?

I've been told that the tadpoles are likely to be OK as they'll swim deeper
to the warmer water, but that the spawn on the surface is vulnerable.

Would it help to cover the spawn? Or remove it in a bucket for a couple of
days?

Or should I just allow nature to make the life and death decisions? It just
seems a shame to let all those little creatures die if I can help them.

Thanks very much,

This puts me in mind of a horror story of sorts.
My Mum was a primary school teacher. Each year, it was common for the
kids to go on a nature walk, and collect some frogspawn to be observed
in an aquarium in the classroom while the tadpoles developed and
hatched.
One year, the Easter holiday coincided with the end of the process,
and no-one thought of returning the advanced tadpoles to the nearest
pond or ditch.
Upon returning from hols, my Mum was greeted by tens of tiny froglets,
dried up on the classroom floor tiles...
The morale of the story: if you bring your tadpoles in to preserve
them from the frost, don't forget to bring them back out ;-)

Cat(h)