Old 22-03-2007, 03:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Padraig Padraig is offline

Default Crow in backyard - Hummingbird.rush_005.jpg (1/1)

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

But the hummingbird pics? They require deliberate stalking, or at least
lying in wait. You have to be ready to shoot when a "model" comes along
and
"poses" because they don't pose for long. And they're pretty solitary
animals. They don't flock like finches or even crows for that matter.
Normally I see them one at a time. Rarely more than two. The most I've
seen in the yard at one time is three.
--
Paddy's Pig

Really???

That's interesting. :-)

Don't misunderstand: I know that under some circumstances more than 3
hummers may appear at one location at the same time. I have seen
photographic evidence of that myself and if I recall, I think I remember you
saying your family lived on a hummingbird migration route when you were in
California. Maybe my memory is faulty about that but I concede hummingbird
migration routes probably do exist - for the breeds that migrate anyway.
Remember, mine are Anna's hummers and they don't. They're year-round birds.
I almost never see any other kind in my yard. I am certainly not on any
kind of migration route so what I said applies to my situation. And it's
also true that most hummers except for migration season do not usually hang
out together. They're too competitive and combative for that. Heck, even
the males and females can't stand each other except for a little while they
get together in breeding season. In the case of Anna's hummingbirds the
male's sole function is to fertilize eggs. Then he's outta there. He does
not participate in any family upbringing chores.

Generally speaking I think any hummer I see in my area is going to be a
"loner".
--
Paddy's Pig