Old 22-03-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] Kthirtya@aol.com is offline

Default water snakes

One of my more interesting rec.ponds
exchanges happened with Elizabeth in
Louisiana. We were both on AOL so she
sent me an instant message about a snake in
her pond.
We surfed the web trying to id it (not a
cottonmouth, whew!) and then *we* decided to
trap it.
She put together a minnow trap, with a live
goldfish (not for the faint hearted). She made
sure to leave the minnow trap with some part above
water and she watched it. She did catch the snake
and released it to a nearby waterway.
We supposed the snake did not like the experience
and did not come back to repeat it.
I've heard harassment works (if you have the time)
and clearing out the rockwork so they don't have
hidey holes.
Netting works, just don't get a mad snake caught in
the netting, which happens from time to time.
My personal solution would be to RUN THE OTHER WAY
AND DON'T STOP UNTIL YOU GET TO IRELAND.
But then I have a sorry and sorted history trying to deal
with a snake in our house. I did not come out of the situation
with any dignity attached.
kathy :-)