Old 22-03-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
©anadian Ponder[_2_] ©anadian Ponder[_2_] is offline

Default koi got ate

~ jan wrote:

Ah.... but see, it sounds like you're assuming. When someone actually
witnesses a skunk catching a fish I'll be more apt to believe. Not saying
you are wrong, but it goes against the nature information about skunks and
what they do eat... dare I say, by people who have researched skunks. ;-)

True I never did actually see the skunk eat the fish but it was too much
of a coincidence that when my fish went missing that skunk showed up. I
caught it right at the ledge of my pond. When my fish went missing the
plants are knocked all over the place.

Since then I made sure that my perimeter fencing is totally sealed from
anything bigger than a mouse. So far no missing fish.

From Wikipedia

Feeding

Skunks are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material but mostly
meat.

They eat invertebrates (insects and their larvae, found by digging, and
earthworms)

as well as small vertebrates (rodents, lizards, salamanders, frogs,
snakes, birds and eggs).

In the absence of insects or other prey, skunks eat wild fruits and
large seeds.

In settled areas, skunks also seek human garbage.

No mention of fish but I bet they would eat them if caught. My pond is
also very small (8' X 4') and only 2' deep so there is nowhere to hide
for the fish if trapped.