Old 23-03-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default koi got ate

©anadian Ponder wrote:

~ jan wrote:

Ah.... but see, it sounds like you're assuming. When someone actually
witnesses a skunk catching a fish I'll be more apt to believe. Not saying
you are wrong, but it goes against the nature information about skunks
and what they do eat... dare I say, by people who have researched skunks.
;-)

True I never did actually see the skunk eat the fish but it was too much
of a coincidence that when my fish went missing that skunk showed up. I
caught it right at the ledge of my pond. When my fish went missing the
plants are knocked all over the place.

I just _know_ I've seen something on the web that says skunks eat fish (not
as a high priority, but that it happens), but given that (a) it's on the
web, and (b) I can't remember where, it obviously isn't terribly
reliable :-)

They're pretty omnivorous, and fairly dextrous, so I don't put it beyond
belief, but they're simply not as big as raccoons, so they don't have as
much access (they can't reach as far) to the fish.
--
derek