Old 23-03-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dick Adams Dick Adams is offline

Default How best to use horse dung to grow veggies?

Dave T Scotland wrote:

Hi, - finding it difficult to come up with a clear answer to the
following. I'm sure there are some excellent knowledgeable people
out there....

We have 1/2 acre + huge polytunnel and try to grow good veggies for
ourselves... We also have access to lots of horse dung ('oss- muck'),
but are not sure what we can use it on... The dung is fairly "pure",
i.e not much mixed up with straw bedding, and fresh-ish.

Do we have to compost it before we can use it?

Yes, it need to decay.

If so by mixing it with what? We have access to lots of grass
cuttings, but not hay/straw.

Kitchen waste, your grass clippings, leaves, other compost material.

Are there any veggies that like it dug in "neat"?

I'd let it decay and see what grows out of it. Who needs weeds?

If you want manure you can dig in while it's fresh, find animals
that do not get to graze - any grain fed live stock. A friend
shows up with a pickup trunk whenever there's a circus nearby
and she'll make as many trips as time allows. She says elephant
manure is as good as it gets. Since circuses aren't as frequent
as they were 40 years ago, she relies on cattle feeders for her
manure. Small breweries rely on farmers to haul off their malt
waste. The farmers use it as animal feed and give the manure
away. So check local breweries to see who hauls off their malt
waste.

Or is it too strong for most things????

I've never thought of horse manure as strong.

Dick