Old 23-03-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
swarvegorilla swarvegorilla is offline

Default pond filtration

One question....
How are you cleaning the filters?
It sounds like you are doing them under a tap.
Try cleaning them in a bucket of water drawn from the pond.
As to the green, cutting back sunlight and increasing partial water changes
will help a lot.
The smell though should be easy enough taken care of by your filter
bacteria.
stop trying to get the filter 'clean'
just squeeze it out to unblock the sponge, then tip the dirty filter
cleaning water on the garden.
Look after the bacteria and it will look after the water.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a preformed fiberglass pond. 11 fish - very very oversized
goldfish.

I have one of those cheap filters in which you need to constantly
clean the sponge filters and it never gets rid of the green nor the
smell.

Can someone point me in a good direction?

I live in Denver, CO

Thanks alot