Old 27-03-2003, 03:56 PM
lms

Default best roses for Albuquerque, NM

In article ,
says...

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here, above 90
in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer weather is prone

mildew.

nooooooooope, that's a swamp thing.
I do remember the first time I saw mildew--an october--on the RioG, which is a
rose gathered from the acequias down by San Antonio (NM). All of a sudden it
took on this silver sheen, was quite fascinating actually--shocked the hell out
of me. Have had this rose 7 years or so, it's done this one and one half
times.
On a different occasion, same time of year, and for a couple days I saw some
mildew on Dr. Huey. This is the sum total of my mildewed rose experience since
86. If you want mildew, you'll have to get some Zinnias and wait til right
before they freeze to deat.

Blackspot's not so rare--if the monsoon becomes extended, as opposed to lately
nonexistent, any that are able are willing and I've before seen it strip most
of the ladies bare. Three which I've found practically impervious to the spot,
and which fit the bill of the subject, are Apricot Twist, Elina, and Sunsprite.
And since I know you like explosive roses, find a place for Trier and make room
for Dr. Brownell, which is a rose you can find in any cheap catalog. They're
both just so so fine, don't think I've ever cut a dead cane off either. And if
you need some red and have a craving for the fireieiost red/orange, then
Europeana and Trumpeter, in no particular order. Showbiz too. And anyone who
lives in the dry should exploit their good fortune with the Rosa Foetida
hybrids, there are several--R. foetida, R. foetida bicolor (Austrian Briar),
Persian Yellow, Soleil d'Or, and Harison's Yellow among them. Practically all
modern yellow roses descend from them.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

abq rose society:
http://www.albuquerquerose.com/

m, Socorro