Old 23-03-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default How best to use horse dung to grow veggies?

On Mar 22, 5:50 pm, "Dave T Scotland"
wrote:
Hi, - finding it difficult to come up with a clear answer to the
following. I'm sure there are some excellent knowledgeable people
out there....

We have 1/2 acre + huge polytunnel and try to grow good veggies for
ourselves... We also have access to lots of horse dung ('oss-
muck'),
but are not sure what we can use it on... The dung is fairly "pure",
i.e not much mixed up with straw bedding, and fresh-ish. Do we have
to compost it before we can use it? If so by mixing it with what? We
have access to lots of grass cuttings, but not hay/straw. Are there
any veggies that like it dug in "neat"? Or is it too strong for most
things???? Cheers....

In my experience, carrots, parsnips and pulses will not like horse
manure, but just about everything else will. I dig it in mixed with
the bedding material it came with. If you want to dilute it, you can
access large amounts of wood chips by calling a tree company. They
will deliver you a load of chips for free, as this saves them landfill
fees. But there is probably no need for it.

For carrots etc. use patches that were manured the year before, add
some wood ash, but nothing else.