Old 23-03-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Petrol Rotary Lawn Mower Recommendations

Si wrote:
I agree, i would definately get a self propelled.

I am looking myself and looking at the honda izy 41

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:05:05 +0000, Alan wrote:

Not electric - looking for petrol (don't want to mess around if possible
with oil/petrol mix)but accept this may be inevitable

Most lawn mowers are 4 strokes, no need to for a petrol/oil mix that is
for 2 strokes. A 4 stroke has oil in a sump and plain petrol in the tank.

Can leave engine running with blade disengaged (remove obstructions)

I doubt that is possible with a rotary mower, the blade is normally just
fixed to the end of the vertical crank shaft. Engine running, blade is
moving and you don't want fingers (or toes) anywhere near that rotating
blade... More to the point most (all, legal requirement?) have a "dead
mans" handle which kills the engine and brakes the blade when it is
released.

May be you are thinking of a cylinder rather than rotary mower? Even then
I'd stop the engine before fiddling.

Don't want a self propelled mower - I can push it!

Petrol mowers are considerably heavier than electric ones. I can barely
push our 18" rotary but then the "lawn" is always cut as long as possible
and is not particulary smooth.

Budget circa £300 (not a top end model then!)

But not the cheap end by a long mark...

The only reason for a 2 stroke is if you have a lawn with a considerable
slope, as I have, then a 4 stroke can have problems with oil flow. I
cannot see the problem of switching off to work on the blade, restarting
when warm should be very easy.