Old 24-03-2007, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default chainsaw recommendations

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
wrote:

sally H wrote:
I should like to buy a small chainsaw and should like recommendations
please.
Thanks.

Recommendation No 1: Don't.
Recommendation No 2: Look for an ATB training course. I found it
invaluable.
Recommendation No 3: Don't.
Recommendation No 4: Stihl or Jotul plus _full_ protective gear - no
half-measures.
Recommendation No 5: Don't.
Recommendation No 6: Get a short blade, not a long one.
Recommendation No 7: Don't.

Agree on all points and the shorter the blade the better/faster it will
cut. However, I recently bought a very cheap (under £100) Ryobi 33cc
14in model and it is extremely good value albeit not the same quality
as a Stihl.

Don't go for an electric chainsaw and by all accounts, avoid McCulloch.

Be wary of Stihl products, they have 2 grades, an inferior and of course
cheaper one made in China, sadly it is not obvious as to which is which.
I got caught with their cheap strimmer. Incidentally if it is only for
light work it is worth considering Tanaka. Their engine is superb
starting, by far the easiest I have come across. Then you can buy a
strimmer, hedge cutter and chain saw "attachments", this makes it very
economical. I particularly like the hedge trimmer as it is a pole type,
so I can cut my 6 ft hedges without ladders.