Old 24-03-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default chainsaw recommendations

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| Nothing wrong with an electric chain saw if you know what you are
| doing, Alkdiu and Lidl do them at times for around £40.00.
| My neighbour who only burns wood uses them all the time and cuts many
| tons of wood before the machine needs to be replaced.
| He is over 70 and has used chain saws for many years.
| Just make sure that you keep the tension on the chain and keep it well
| lubricated, and what ever you do USE IT CAREFULLY. THEY ARE LETHAL IF
| USED CARELESSLY.
|
| But all of that is true of petrol ones, too.

Typically more so, because they are usually more powerful and take
longer to stop.

Cutting up logs on a sawhorse is one thing; cutting up branches in
situ another; cutting down trees a third; and working up a ladder
or tree VERY much a fourth. It becomes more dangerous, and you need
to be stronger in the hands, wrists and shoulders as that series
proceeds. I gave up even an electric hedge trimmer because I was
not strong enough to hold it safely.

| I have an electric one (16", with which I've felled several redundant
| trees in the garden and turned them into firewood - while wearing the
| proper helmet and gloves, of course) and wondered whether the poster had
| some particular reason for saying don't go for one. A circuit breaker
| takes care of any risk from cutting the cable - which so far I've
| managed to avoid doing!

What on earth do you need a helmet for, in any case where you don't
need the kevlar clothing?

Also, circuit breakers DON'T eliminate all risk from cutting the cable;
they merely reduce it. Anyway, except in wet weather, the risk to the
person is low - rubber boots are good insulators, and there is little
danger unless the current goes across your head or torso.

The main danger is the saw jumping out of your hands, possibly because
there is an old nail in the tree or you catch it on a springy branch.
If it hits you while still moving, it will at best make a mess and quite
likely cut a major blood vessel or do other permanent damage.

I have felled, cut up and dug up several modest trees of 9" diameter
(e.g. 20' apples) in less than a day, using nothing more than a decent
bowsaw and other manual tools. Trees of much above that should be left
to professionals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.