Old 24-03-2007, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default fertilizer

wrote in message Before resorting to vulgarity,
perhaps we should revisit the question
that was posed. As the question was stated, it appeared to me that
what the OP was saying was that he had two bags of fertilizer, that
were marked 24-4-4. To me, that indicates that they both have the
same amount of nutrients per pound. For one bag to provide 8500 sq ft
coverage and the other 15,000, there are only two possibilities:

1 - The bag marked 15000 coverage is 1.75 times as large as the other

2 - The bag marked 15000 is assuming it is applied at a proportionally
lower rate than the other when they say what area it will cover.

The bags weigh the same. I was guessing that the numbers were related to
the percentage of components in the bag. That would mean to me that the bag
that had the herbicide in it was putting a lot more nitrogen per sqft than
the one that did not have the herbicide in it. I did not care if the
herbicide did anything or not , just wanted the nitrogen on the grass, so I
applied it at the more spread out rate so the 8500 sqft bag was applied at
the 15000 sqft rate.