Old 24-03-2007, 03:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Scott Richardson Scott Richardson is offline

Default snow is gone in Austin

You'll be happy to hear that nearly all of the snow is now gone in Austin.
Heard a robin singing this morning. Probably two to three weeks away before
the garden will be dry enough to start cleaning up and getting ready for the
new season. I have penstemon, snaps, clematis, columbine, larkspur, bachelor
button seedlings that I need to repot into individual pots and put out in
the cold frame. Today or tomorrow I start impatiens, petunia, and about 3
varieties of marigolds. Some basil and cherry tomato also. (I have three
sets of shop lights in the basement so I am indoor gardening from about
December.

Outdoor planting's frost free date is May 15th.
With the snow gone, I see that moles have been busy all winter just
under the snow but above the ground - I have declared war on them, but
victory is not yet in sight. This summer I am surging up my efforts. They
are handy in the garden as they churn the soil without hurting the plants.
In the lawn - evil thoughts of death and torture come to mind. I didn't
have any lily blooms last year because of either rabbits or deer or both. A
gardening acquaintance said to get a pellet gun. That's surging too much. I
am thinking - fencing as in perimeter fence. I suppose I could call the
fenced in area the "green zone. "

Scott in Austin ... Minnesota