Old 24-03-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default chainsaw recommendations

In article ,
Chris Potts writes:

| Lidl had a small electric chain saw in the special offers about a week
| ago, and there was one left in my local Lidl yesterday. I think they
| were £40. I have a small electric Black and Decker which has proved
| very reliable and is quiet, unlike the two stroke I had before which was
| VERY noisy.

The money for the chainsaw isn't the issue. While even the best
bowsaw is cheaper, the difference between 20 and 40 quid is neither
here nor there. The 5 day course and full protective kit costs FAR
more than that!

Whenever this has come up before, all of the professionals have
confirmed the bowsawyers' claims that using a bowsaw is much safer
and no more effort and time for small amounts of cutting down and
up. While there ARE circumstances when using a chainsaw is safe
without either the full kit (including a kevlar 'overall') or proper
training, damn few people will know when that is so without training.
And a 5 day course isn't justified unless you do a LOT of such work
or are particularly interested.

In this context, it would be useful to know how much such work the
OP is planning to do, in terms of number and size of trees removed,
tons of wood or whatever, per annum.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.