Old 24-03-2007, 10:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Pill bugs

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:00:50 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:02:30 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

If you don't want to kill the snails, you are going to have to hand pick
them. Otherwise, put out some pans of beer.

Beer kills them.

I know...
So what are you going to do?

If you have the patience to hand=pick and relocate them, go for it. ;-)

As for pill bugs, being crustaceans, they breath thru gills and the soil
must be wet.

Yes, I know. This is happening near my pond.

Try some diatomaceous earth in a dry border around the plants. You may
kill a few, but it will most likely repel the smart ones? ;-)

I don't want to kill anything. D.E. does not repell. It kills them.

Some.
Not all.

Good luck!

I start my MG's in pots then transplant them. Being up on potting
shelves, pill bugs can't get to them.

I also start my seeds in pots. But I planted the variegated seedlings
because they were ready to be planted and they've been eaten to the
nub. The 'Heavenly Blue' are okay so far.

Eh. What is the worst; I won't have variegated morning glory's.

Heavenly blues are good enough for LSA... G

http://www.erowid.org/plants/morning...ng_glory.shtml

Seriously, they are a pretty plant.
I'm a bit confused about you losing mg's to pill bugs!
I'm over-run with pill bugs and I've never had an issue with them...

Oh well! shrugs

I don't intentionally kill anything. I do kill billions of things
daily by breathing, but never intentionally. I guess that's my point.
'Heavenly Blue' is a variety of MG. I also have 'Flying Saucers,' and
others. Can't get enough. Maybe snails or slugs got to them, but
they definitely got to them one way or the other. My neighbor was
very upset last year when she didn't have my MG's spilling over her
side of the fence.