Old 25-03-2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Default Pesticide defined

William Rose wrote:
In article ,
Lar wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

http://www.healthline.com/galeconten...sticide&utm_me
dium=mw&utm_campaign=article

PESTICIDES

Pesticides are a broad class of chemicals and biological agents that
are specifically designed and applied to kill a pest. Specific types
of pesticides target specific types of pests: insecticides kill
insects, fungicides kill fungi and bacteria, herbicides kill weeds and
other unwanted plant vegetation, molluscacides kill mollusks,
acaricides kill spiders, and so on. Pesticide use dates back to
ancient times.

There is actually more to what a pesticide is. The EPA definition is "A
pesticide is any substance or mixture of substances intended for
preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest."

"Off" mosquito repellent is a pesticide. Pheromones used as an
attractant for insect traps are also classified as a pesticide. More
common sense is being used by the state officials though, but used to,
if a customer had ants gathering on a hummingbird feeder and I applied
vasaline to the support line to keep the ants off I had to list the
vasaline as pesticide.

Lar

Let's face it, Bush and his kingdom don't get along well with science or
anything based in facts:-(
The last time I looked, the suffix -cide relates to killing, not just
bumming-out some little critter.

- Bill

As long as the letters p*e*s*t*i is in front of the suffix "cide" about
the only definition that really matters is the EPAs and they say bumming
out the critters counts along with the killing. They been saying that
since the 70's, a bit before Bush could of ever hoped to be thought of
as having a kingdom

Lar