Old 25-03-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Red[_2_] Red[_2_] is offline

Default How best to use horse dung to grow veggies?

On Mar 24, 7:21 pm, "Red" wrote:

That being said, I am really starting to have second
thoughts about using animal manure in a vegetable
garden ever since the e-coli outbreak last year caused by
manure from a cattle farm getting into a vegetable field in
California. I always thought they were good for each
other, but now I'm not so sure.

About a minute after posting my comment, I noted this article from a
San Franscisco newspaper. Guess they're taking manure use seriously.

Garden soil will benefit from annual applications of manure as much as
agricultural fields do. Good garden practices will minimize the
possibility of pathogen contamination.

The safest route is to use manure that has been aerobically composted.
During composting, the manure needs to reach temperatures above 130
degrees for at least two five-day heating cycles, and to be frequently
turned.

If using aged but uncomposted manure, never apply the manure to food
crops that are already growing. Mix the aged manure into the soil 120
days prior to harvesting food crops where the edible portion comes in
contact with the soil. If the edible portion doesn't come into contact
with the soil, this interval can be reduced to 90 days.

After handling manure, wash hands and any other soiled body parts with
soap and water.

Don't use the same tools for manure handling that you use for crop
harvesting without first washing them with soap and water.

Remove manure-contaminated clothing, especially shoes and gloves,
before entering the house.

Wash hands with soap and water before handling food.

Before eating or cooking fruits and vegetables, wash them well under
running water. Remove the outer leaves of leafy greens