Old 25-03-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Non Gumbo

wrote:
.. Is there any common use for these
(other than compost) that avoids the rough texture?

David

andy writes:
If a pod gets too tough to bother with picking, I leave it on
the plant. At end of life when the plant dries up, the seeds in
the pod can be used for next year's garden....

I've recently been surfing for some new okra recipes that don't
involve frying or mixing with much other stuff.... Apparently one can
microwave the pods for a couple minutes, just like with carrots
or onions. I'll try it when my new crop comes in....If it works,
it'll be a nice, quick snack...

Also, as one of the other posters here mentioned, baking
them. I'll try that also....

Andy in Eureka, Texas