Old 25-03-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Ants!

Sacha wrote:

On 25/3/07 10:07, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Can't remember what plant was in the pot, but it was probably a cactus
or succulent as I had quite a few of those at the time.

That would figure because it would mean the compost was dry.

Probably. I'm quite bad at remembering to water stuff, hence the cacti
and succulents who stand up to such treatment far better than other
plants :-)

Still have a few
but had to get rid of lots of our houseplants a couple of moves ago when
most of our stuff was in storage for months :-(

I tend to just kill them - I suppose it saves space..... ;-(
I have two tiny Easter cacti (maybe Christmas ones, I don't know!) in a pot
on a window sill and have watered them which is, I think, probably the worst
thing I could have done. The poor things keep trying to flower and whatever
I'm doing makes the flowers wither and drop off!

I remember reading somewhere that cacti should be left to dry out
between October and March and watered like any other plant the rest of
the time (which in my case means roughly whenever I remember...).

But some dim corner of my brain is trying to tell me that
Christmas/Easter cacti are different in some way googles

This page :- http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/christmas_cactus.html

says they don't like drafts, either hot or cold air and are less
tolerant of drying out than other cacti but don't like being constantly
damp. Fussy little things :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"