Old 25-03-2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Marco Schwarz Marco Schwarz is offline

Default Sunfish in ponds?

Hi..

Does anyone keep fish other than Koi or Goldfish in their
pond? Anything like sunfish or other domestics?

Hmm.., I'm primary an aquarium keeper but I've several small
barrels and summer ponds where I'm used to "oversummer" my
cool_cold_water fish..

While North America seem to have a lot of small cold water
minnows we in Middle Europe only have 2 to 3 small and slim
of 6 to 12cm (2.5 to 5"). Well and they're not that
colourful but lively schooling swimmers and at least
absolutely _no_ biotope killers. On the one hand it were a
challenge to detect them but on the other hand it would
make fish watching very exiting..! :-)

While - attention - goldfish, koi and sunfish are well known
to be first class biotope killers..

I kept common sunfish in tanks. Their spawning behaviour is
very interesting and I'm sure they would love to spend the
warmer season in a shallow water pond with sand substrate
wherein they'd dig their spawning cavities..

But if you were interested in setting up a biotope pond with
a variety of water plants, plant-crowded shallow water
zones offering a big variety of refuges for water insects,
frogs, newts bathing or drinking birds I'd recommend to get
some small schooling minnows..

Unfortunately rosy reds aren't available here..

HTH..

--
cu
Marco