Old 25-03-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
BOB BOB is offline

Default Non Gumbo

wrote in message
ups.com
I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
just giving it away is a waste. I don't have much experience with it,
what can I make aside from gumbo?

I know I can google for 10000 recipes but often these are just copied
around indefinitely with no indication their value. I am hoping for
recommendations from those who actually cook and enjoy okra not those
who reproduce recipes :-)

Supplementary question. If you fail to cut them when young, this can
be a matter of one or two days more on the bush, the larger pods get
rather fibrous and full of seeds. Is there any common use for these
(other than compost) that avoids the rough texture?

David

With apologies to Alan Zelt for modifying his excellent lutefisk recipe,
this (IMO) is the only way to prepare okra:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Okra Preparation

Recipe modified By : Me
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Barbeque, Southern, Traditional

1 bushel Okra
5 sticks firewood
1 quart gasoline
1 750ml Gentleman Jack -- poured over ice, optional

Pour a glass of Gentleman Jack, (ice or not is optional). Take a healthy
drink,
because this preparation is man's work.

Dig a hole in your backyard. About 3ft deep should be sufficient.

To this hole, add the Okra and then the five fireplace logs.

Douse wood with the gasoline. Step back, and ignite the wood. Ensure
that the fire is on high.

Sit back, away from the fire, on a comfortable chair. Take another
drink.

In about 15 minutes, the fire should have died down. Stir the embers,
until there is a consistency throughout of fine soot.

So that you remember this happy occasion, pour a shot of vodka into the
embers, uttter "thank God," and go inside and have a great dinner.

Suggested Wine: Finlandia
Serving Ideas : Before eating a good meal.

NOTES : After you have bought a okra, you will need a good method of
preparation. While this preparation method is a bit unconventional, it
will satisfy all unnatural cravings for okra.