Old 25-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default Non Gumbo

wrote:
I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
just giving it away is a waste. I don't have much experience with it,
what can I make aside from gumbo?

They can of course be added to any vegetable soup. I love them dearly. I
know others pickle them.
This is the best fried okra I've ever made.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fried Okra

Recipe By :Southern Living, May 1987
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

1 pound okra -- 1/ 2 inch slices
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying
salt

This comes from the Southern Living magazine cookbook, May 1987

Wash okra, drain well. Remove stems and tips. Cut into 1/2 inch
slices. Coat with flour (I just tossed all together in bowl)
Beat egg whites (at room temp) until stiff peaks form. Fold into okra.
Stir in bread crumbs, coating okra well.
Deep fry okra in hot oil (375 degrees) until golden brown. drain on
paper towels and sprinkle with salt.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smothered Okra and Tomatoes

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Vegetables

2 pounds okra
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
3 cups chopped, peeled and seeded tomatoes, -- or 3
cups canned
5 bay leaves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons chopped garlic

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Wash the okra under cool water. Cut off stems and slice each pod
crosswise into 1/2 inch rounds
Combine the okra and the rest of the indgredients in a large heavy oven
proof pot, not cast iron. Mix well.
Bake covered, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the
slime has disappeared.
Bake uncovered for the last 15 min. of cooking time. The time may vary
depending on the tenderness of the okra.
Remove bay leaves and serve or let cool completely and store in freezer
containers.