Old 25-03-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
raymond raymond is offline

Default Non Gumbo

On 24 Mar 2007 22:09:08 -0700, "
wrote:

I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
just giving it away is a waste. I don't have much experience with it,
what can I make aside from gumbo?

I know I can google for 10000 recipes but often these are just copied
around indefinitely with no indication their value. I am hoping for
recommendations from those who actually cook and enjoy okra not those
who reproduce recipes :-)

Supplementary question. If you fail to cut them when young, this can
be a matter of one or two days more on the bush, the larger pods get
rather fibrous and full of seeds. Is there any common use for these
(other than compost) that avoids the rough texture?

David

These are recipes I make regularly in the summertime. I don't have a
garden, but okra is plentiful and cheap at our local farmer's market.

My father taught me to mash the okra pod between my thumb and
forefinger and if the pod cracks or splits then it's compost. If it
doesn't, then I use it.

The first, okra patties, is our favorite and I make it on on a griddle
on my grill. I make the second, grilled okra, when I'm not in the mood
to bother with okra patties. Pickled okra is good with sandwiches and
salads.

Okra Patties

1 pound Okra, tops removed.
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp garlic powder or chopped garlic to taste, optional
Cooking oil of choice (I use light olive oil)

Process okra in a food processor until finely chopped. You want the
largest pieces to be about the size of a pea. remove to a large bowl.
Combine wet ingredients and add to okra. Combine dry ingredients and
add to Okra. If you have done it right, you will have a big wad of
glop.

Preheat a griddle. Add oil. It helps to have a bowl of oil reserved on
the side. Using a 1/4 cup measure, dig 1/4 cup of the mixture out of
the wad of glop and place on the griddle. Working quickly, take your
spatula and dip it into the reserved oil so it doesn't stick to the
okra, and flatten the patty to about 1/4 inch thickness. This step is
very important. If you don't get the patty thin enough it will be raw
in the middle. As you flatten it it will spread. I can get about 4
patties on my griddle at one time.

Repeat with as many patties as you want. As you turn each patty, add a
little more oil to the griddle. This is important to help cook the
middle of the patties.

Cook until Okra is brown on both sides. Note that here in the southern
United States okra is not done until some of it is black, and that's
the way I cook it. If it's not TOO black, it doesn't taste burned, but
rather has a nice smokey taste.

This recipe makes about eight patties. When I make it, I make half one
night and the rest the next night. It keeps nicely overnight in the
refrigerator, but no longer than that.

Grilled (or broiled) Okra
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Eighteen 12-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for at
least 30 minutes

1 pound small-medium okra pods
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat grill or broiler. Wash the okra under cold running water and
dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive
oil, 1 teaspoon salt, the cayenne, and black pepper and mix well. Add
the okra to the marinade and toss to coat. Thread 5 to 7 okra pods
onto 2 skewers each (to keep okra in place).

If grilling, place the skewers on the grill and cook until browned and
slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning with tongs
frequently.

If broiling, place the skewers about 3 inches from the heat and broil
until browned and slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning
with tongs frequently.

Quick Pickled Okra

1 lb okra
6 tablespoons kosher salt
2 c water
3 c distilled vinegar
2 tablespoon sugar
2 bay leaves
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspooon brown mustard seeds
2 c sliced onions

Soak okra briefly in cold water. Drain. Toss in 3 T salt. Drain 1
hour.

Combine water, vinegar, remaining salt, sugar & spices in a
nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir to boil. Add onions.
Cook 1 minute.

Rinse okra in cool water. Place in large plastic container. Cover with
brine mixture and stir.

Cover & refrigerate at least 6 hours. Best used after 3 days in
fridge. Will keep about a month, but they don't last that long in my
house.