Old 25-03-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
The Joneses The Joneses is offline

Default Non Gumbo

"raymond" wrote in message
On 24 Mar 2007 22:09:08 -0700, "
wrote:

I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
just giving it away is a waste. I don't have much experience with it,
what can I make aside from gumbo?

I know I can google for 10000 recipes but often these are just copied
around indefinitely with no indication their value. I am hoping for
recommendations from those who actually cook and enjoy okra not those
who reproduce recipes :-)

Supplementary question. If you fail to cut them when young, this can
be a matter of one or two days more on the bush, the larger pods get
rather fibrous and full of seeds. Is there any common use for these
(other than compost) that avoids the rough texture?

David

These are recipes I make regularly in the summertime. I don't have a
garden, but okra is plentiful and cheap at our local farmer's market.

My father taught me to mash the okra pod between my thumb and
forefinger and if the pod cracks or splits then it's compost. If it
doesn't, then I use it.

The first, okra patties, is our favorite and I make it on on a griddle
on my grill. I make the second, grilled okra, when I'm not in the mood
to bother with okra patties. Pickled okra is good with sandwiches and
salads.

Okra Patties

Clipped
--------------

Grilled (or broiled) Okra

Clipped

Quick Pickled Okra

Clipped

Thanks for the interesting recipes. I can think of a couple spices to add
to the patties, separately of course - a Greek lemon blend, hot chile or
chipotle blend, and of course a curry.
I love making okra pickles and my family eats them up like candy, stem end
and all. I use a 6:1 cider vinegar to water and my homemade pickling spice.
Or instead of the spice, use a coupla garlic cloves or a halved shallot.
With or without salt in the recipe they are very good. I also add just a
touch of local honey - about a teaspoonful or two per jar. Don't want it
sweet necessarily, but it adds a certain perfume that I like. And a hot
chile pepper to some jars.
Cooked okra is soothing to the stomach. I learned to pick and use okra
that was as tender as the end of my plump nose.
Edrena