Old 26-03-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default starting seedlings

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Tater" wrote:

I am getting anxious to start seedlings.

most of you mentioned i shouldnt plant until the ground is above 70
deg, how does one test? bury a thermometer?

also, most of you said i should start by planting in my starter tray
4 weeks before planting in the ground. how do i predict that the
ground will be 70 degrees in four weeks?

also, would it hurt for the seedlings to be started early? how early?

I've heard of trying to pre-germinate before planting in starter
trays, can someone recommend a method?

I'd try to find Crockett's Victory Garden. 1977
Library of Congress # 77-72669

There is no ISBN # and is out of print however perhaps extended family
has a copy.
Bill

Yeah - that's a great book, as long as his advice on chemicals is pretty
much ignored. It might be what killed him - he sprayed every damned thing.

www.powells.com often has decent used copies of the book. And, the OP might
want to higher a private detective to find out if there's a library in his
town.