Old 26-03-2007, 12:45 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Pill bugs

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:43:04 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

I don't think the bats are back yet are they?
The guano is sitting on cement (it's a freeway overpass) that has gotten
to compost all winter.

Only the female bats migrate. Most of the males remain here all
winter. Some do migrate with the females, but you can stand there and
hear them all year. In order to compost something you need a nitrogen
to carbon ration. Sitting cement doesn't mean the guano is composted.
It means it is laying there, most likely with all the pathogens it
would ordinarily have.

I know. :-) I've watched that bat flight. (The Congress st. Bridge).

This is a new one. They are living up under the cement overhang on the
Centerpoint street bridge here in San Marcos, I've already reported the
find to Bat Conservation Intl. They informed me that the guy in charge
of DOT bridge building is doing this on purpose. Making the bridge
structures in certain areas bat compatible.

I was impressed. :-)

BCI keeps a record of known bridge colonies and was glad that I called
them.

The entire nation is doing this with certain bridges. Since we
removed most of their natural habitats it's the least we can do.